Does Borax Kill MoldThis page discusses how to kill mold with borax. The Mold Removal page also provides a step by step guide to the entire mold removal process.
Borax InformationBorax is a natural, white mineral powder. It is based on the element, boron. Borax is good for general cleaning, and it is an effective deodorizer.
Does Borax Kill MoldBorax also kills mold and inhibits mold growth. Borax also kills germs and bacteria. It is a disinfectant, biocide, insecticide, pesticide, herbicide and fungicide.
Advantages of BoraxBorax is one of the best mold killing products. Unlike bleach products, borax is chemical-free and does not emit dangerous gases. Borax is also not as bad for the environment as bleach is.
Borax is cheap to buy. Borax powder is usually only a few dollars. You can find it in the laundry section of supermarkets. You can also buy other cleaning products which contain borax. For example, borax-detergents.
Toxicity of BoraxBorax has a low toxicity level. It is still toxic if swallowed, however. Make sure to keep borax away from children and pets. The pH level of borax is about 9, so it is quite alkaline.
Borax and InsectsBorax is a cheap and effective solution for insect problems too. Ants, cockroaches and fleas are all killed by borax.
Mixing Borax With Vinegar or BleachYou can mix borax with vinegar and water safely. This solution can be more effective at killing mold. Some people also add salt.
However, mixing borax with bleach is not recommended. Bleach often produces dangerous gases when mixed with other products (eg bleach and ammonia produces toxic gas).
For information about using vinegar or bleach to kill mold see the killing mold with vinegar page or the killing mold with bleach page.
How to Kill Mold With BoraxYou can either buy a borax based cleaner to kill and remove mold, or you can mix borax powder in water, following these directions.
Borax can irritate sensitive skin and can be toxic if ingested. So you can wear rubber gloves if you want to be cautious.
- Mix borax with water. Use a ratio of one cup of borax with one gallon of water. Make sure the borax fully dissolves in the water. Hot water will dissolve borax powder faster.
- You can pour the solution into a spray bottle, if you want to apply it by spraying.
- Next, apply the borax and water solution to the moldy area. Let it sit for a few minutes. You can then use a scrubbing brush, cloth, etc to wipe the mold away.
- You do not have to rinse afterwards. The borax will prevent the mold returning.
- If you want, you can make a paste instead. Add less water to the borax powder to make a paste. To apply the paste, smear it on the moldy area.
How to Remove Mold From Clothes With BoraxYou can also use borax to remove mold from your clothes. It can also remove tough stains.
There is borax laundry detergent which you can buy from the supermarket. Simply follow the directions when you add it to your washing.
You can add borax powder to your washing yourself:
- First mix half a cup of borax powder with hot water. This is to make sure it completely dissolves.
- Then add the borax and water solution to your washing, once the washing machine has filled with water.
- Next, run your washing through a normal cycle.
For more information about removing mold from clothes visit the Mold on Clothes page.
If you live in the US and would like to talk to an expert about a mold problem then please call toll-free on 866-363-1958.